ALL COMICS | CONTACT ME | SHORT FILMS | SKETCH COMEDY | FIGERS | TWITTER


COMICS AND MOVIES AND BOOKS AND SHIT:

Friday, January 22, 2010

The Book of the New Sun

I asked my roommate if she had any interesting science fiction to recommend having discussed the Dune series at length several weeks prior. She gave me this.

Now, I consider myself a more-than-casual-aficionado of the most undervalued genre, so I was shocked that I had never encountered this author before - especially after I finished the first volume.

I generally hesitate to make any kind of broad statements about someones work before I've had time to digest it in it's entirety - but the Book of the New Sun is the best science fiction I've read since LeGuin's Hainish Cycle (Left Hand of Darkness, and The Disposessed specifically). In fact it's shaping up to be more impressive in scope and allegory than anything Frank Herbert conceived in his career. Do yourself a favor and get a hold of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment